37 weeks today, I don’t believe it! The baby is officially “full term”- aka fully cooked- though of course I’m well aware that she could stay in there for another 4 and a half weeks if I go overdue. I would stay put too, in this weather.
So am I ready? Emotionally and practically, pretty much. But I’m not mad keen on the idea of having to ski to the hospital in -10 temperatures, or bringing a baby home to a house in which the pipes have frozen. It would be good to hang on for a couple of weeks until this crazy deep freeze has thawed out a little. Plus G’s sister has spent months organising a baby shower for me which takes place next weekend.
On the other hand, I really am starting to go mad cooped up in the house. I still don’t want to risk going outside on my own- it’s slippier than ever- and as a result haven’t left the house in over two days. G has been working these past couple of days, and it’s tough at home without his company/arm to hold on to so I can go outside.
So perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad to go into labour. And as my Mum (who is conveniently also a midwife) pointed out, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had the baby at home. Apart from the frozen pipes thing.
But I gather that I don’t get to choose when the big event happens. So the thumb twiddling begins in earnest…